Thursday 6 April 2017

Review: The Black Book by Ian Rankin

The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)The Black Book by Ian Rankin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was delighted to find this copy as I haven't read all the early Rebus novels yet. I do enjoy Ian Rankin's writing and his way with words. This is early Rankin and of course he is writing his way into his own voice and style. Rebus isn't quite the developed character he is in later novels but he's a complex 3D character and the plot is tortuous and twisty in design. It's a satisfying read.

I always enjoy the Scottishness, the odd Gaelic or Scottish words and the sense of a character pulled apart by his work, his ideals and his 'faith'. Perhaps I should say the imprint of the faith of his upbringing. Rebus is out to get Ger Cafferty and if it means trailing off to hunt up a cold case and causing a lot of bother to everyone around him, too bad. Rebus will get his man.

As ever, a good read, entertaining, thought provoking and worth reading again.



View all my reviews

READERS PLEASE NOTE:
1 a.m. 19th of April to 1 a.m. 24th of April all my novels in ebook form: 'Jacob's Justice', 'Tizzie', and 'Bittersweet', will be on sale for 99 pence or cents at Amazon and Smashwords and various other book sites

No comments: